Hello and Happy Monday. The first Monday of 2 0 2 2 ! We have one more day of break, and I’m going to take it easy and enjoy this last day off.
Today, I’m recapping a bit of what we did over break.
Our break seemed so hectic during the first week while the second week we were able to have a little bit more down time and even do a few things as a family.
Over break we…
- baked cookies.
- The kids received their first vaccine.
- attended holiday parties.
- had basketball training and practice (Hayden)
- played with friends
- played with cousins
- celebrated Christmas
- went to basketball games (Travis and Hayden attended a couple of high school games and a UK game)
- stayed up late
- slept in
- watched a few movies
- caught up (kind of) on shows
- shopped at the mall (Hadley had some Aerie gift cards burning a hole in her pocket)
- Purged and organized the house (somewhat)
- started a home project
- worked on Science Fair projects
Hayden studied the “Science of Running” during his club running season.
Hadley observed a variety of apples over a few hours to see which one would be freshest to pack in her lunch.
- We saw the Spider-Man movie.
We go to the movies so infrequently that we usually go to the nicer theaters with the lounge chairs. This movie was so good.
- We hiked at Red River Gorge.
Last Thursday was a great day to go because we needed to get out of the house while our neighbor finished up our house project. The weather was in the 60s but overcast. We did a great two mile loop…
…and then stopped for pizza at Miguel’s.
- I started New Year’s Eve day watching one of my favorite movies: While You Were Sleeping.
- Then, I heard about Betty White’s passing. Golden Girls is one of my all time favorite shows (*one of my first parenting “wins” was the fact that both of my kids could sing along to every word for the theme song by the time they were three!) The number of people who texted me or sent me a message about her on Friday goes to show how well those people know me. I watched a few episodes of GG in her honor on Friday afternoon.
What a life she lived. She’s certainly legendary!
- Then we celebrated NYE with neighbors and friends.
Most years, we don’t really have plans, and this year we ended up hanging with lots of great friends at two different parties.
Travis and I went to a progressive dinner with friends starting with apps at one house, followed by salad at another house, then dinner and desserts at two other houses. Hadley hung with friends while we did that, and Hayden went to our neighbor’s house with other friends. Travis, Hadley and I joined Hayden at the neighbor’s house around 10:00 to ring in the new year.
I can’t believe I stayed up until midnight! haha
- On Saturday, we laid low most of the day. It was so rainy, so it was nice to sleep in and relax. Then, we continued to tidy up the house (this seemed to be an ongoing process…) before watching the CATS play in their bowl game.
- Saturday evening, we went to Cincinnati for the night. We arrived around 6:30, checked into our hotel, and then had dinner at 21C.
We stayed at the Westin and realized that’s where the Chiefs players were staying too. Hayden got a couple of autographs that night, and then we hung out in the lobby Sunday morning to see them get on the bus. Hayden was so excited. We saw Patrick Mahomes, Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, and Tyrann Mathieu (among others)
We headed to the Chiefs game. It definitely felt like football weather (brrr!) …and up until the 4th quarter, it was one of the best days of Hayden’s life.
The Chiefs lost in a close one, but we still had a great time.
I’m sure I’m missing some things, but I’d say we had a good mix of productivity and relaxing over these past two weeks.
While I’m recapping things, here’s my 2021 recap that I shared last week.
Tomorrow is back to reality, so I’m going take today to take it easy and prep for the week ahead.
Linking up with Heather.