I think I share quite a bit about what’s going on in our lives, but every once in a while I like to take a moment to share a few more details about what’s going on with each of us. So, today I’m sharing Three Things…
- Hayden is still recovering from the Chief loss. I’m not sure who was more beat up after that loss…Mahomes or Hayden 😉 I know it’s his age and (lack of?) perspective, but Hayden is usually pretty upset after a loss whether it’s a big game for himself or a professional game. It takes him some time to let go and move on. Kid wears his heart on his sleeve when it comes to sports.
- This season, Hayden is on two basketball teams. Don’t ask me why. I just show up when I’m told to. 😂 He has a lot of fun with his teammates, and it’s fun seeing his effort on the court. Thankfully, the Saturday game schedule is pretty doable with a mid-morning game, time for lunch, and an early afternoon game.
- Hayden continues a somewhat healthy balance of playing Xbox and reading. Sometimes, I want to throw the Xbox out the window, but he cracks me up wearing the headset, and he has fun playing online with his friends. Then, almost every night, I have to beg him to turn off his lamp and go to bed while he insists on reading his book! It’s hard to get upset when he’s reading…even if he should be sleeping.
- Hadley is prepping for dance competition season. Y’all, never in my life did I think I’d be a dance mom, but here we are. This is the first year she’s performed on a competition team, and she’s with a great little group of girls. Thankfully, there are only three competitions, and they aren’t goo far away. I love after class when she comes home and shows me what she’s learned. I’m pretty amazed with her dancing ability, her grace, and how quickly she picks up on routines. They also started dance club at school (via Zoom right now), and she’s loving it. The sponsor is actually Hayden’s teacher, and she’s teaching the club members choreography from popular songs from Broadway musicals. This has been special because she loves dance, but it also feels like a “normal” school activity even though it’s via Zoom.
- If there’s a hair or makeup tutorial on YouTube, Hadley has probably seen it. She just dabbles in applying some makeup for fun while hanging out at home. I’m amazed at her application of it, and I’m typically the one mixing up my concealer with my undereye corrector. 😆She also styles her hair in such cute ways. From beachy waves to curls to messy bun to braids, she’s tried them all, and her hair always looks so cute. She also hogs the bathroom which drives Hayden crazy. I told him he should be worried about the high school years!
Homer continues to reap the benefits of us being home most days for school. You’ll find him snoozing in Hadley’s bed while she completes classwork or begging for lunch while the kids eat grilled cheese or quesadillas.
Also, Homer’s newest issue is he’s scared to go up and down our back steps from the sun room to the yard. I think I’ve mentioned before that he won’t go down the stairs to the basement. Even when he was a puppy, he’d refuse, but he’d always go outside. Around Christmas time, we found him whimpering at the bottom of the back steps after it had snowed. We think he must have slipped coming up them, so he was hesitant to come back up.
It’s been snowy or icy pretty consistently the past two weeks, and I guess he remembers slipping at Christmas time. So, sometimes he takes forever to work up the courage to go down the steps and other times we find him not wanting to come back up! There have been times we’ve had to get a leash and bring him from the backyard through the front door. Sometimes, I’ve just had to use “tough” love and let him stay out there until he’s cold enough to find the courage to come up the stairs.
I hope he forgets about this slipping issue by next winter! As I always say, “It’s a good thing he’s cute!”
As for me, I’m a weirdo who likes winter. I even like overcast and dreary days as it gives me the excuse to hang out at home, read, or watch Netflix. By March, I’m ready for spring, so I’m soaking up this last month of winter.
I’ve also been cheering on my *ranked* Mizzou TIGERS, but I keep quiet about the fact that Trav and Hayden’s beloved CATS are unranked.
I’m also more hopeful than ever that we are headed back to school in the somewhat near future. We’ve been receiving many emails about plans and protocols. The superintendent and team make the call every Tuesday for the following week using a matrix and guidance from local health department officials. Our numbers are finally low enough that K-2 start back in person on Tuesday. Grades 3-5, 6, 9, and 12 will be next, so I hope we hit phase two soon. So, I’m doing a bit of in person school prep while meeting with students via Zoom until we return to our school building.
Per usual, Travis has been very busy with work.
He’s also helping coach one of Hayden’s basketball teams. We’ve officially split most driving duties with him as Hayden’s chauffeur for all things basketball and baseball while I drive Miss Hadley to dance.
He’s also planning runs with the kids as they are most likely going to participate in a few track meets in March.
So that’s a little bit of what’s been going on with us! I feel like some days are so busy, but I try to take each day as it comes and enjoy this season of life.
See you back here tomorrow for this week’s Friday Favorites post.