Hello and Happy Monday! Well, fall break sure seemed to fly by! Now, we are back at it this week with school and fall activities. We took a couple days and went to Asheville, NC (more about that later this week!), and it was a nice getaway. We also had family visit this weekend. My mom and Gma were here from KC for a few days.
Anyway, I try to share a recipe or two each month, and this casserole by Taryn is a new Pinterest find for me. I made this a couple of weeks ago, and the whole family enjoyed it. It’s a great low carb option as well as being delicious.
- 6 cups shredded cooked chicken (from about 2 lb chicken) (I used Shay’s method- In the morning, I put the chicken in the slow cooker, covered it with water and cooked on low for 6 hours…and then it’s so easy to shred!)
- 6 oz ham cut into bite size pieces
- 4 oz butter melted
- 6 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine (optional) (I omitted this step)
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 oz Swiss cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350. Put the chicken in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Layer the pieces of ham on top.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer combine the melted butter, softened cream cheese, white wine (if using), mustard, lemon juice, and salt. Blend until a thick sauce forms. Spread this sauce over the chicken and ham in the baking dish.
- Lay the slices of Swiss cheese on top of the sauce. Bake for 30-40 minutes until hot.
- Broil it for 2 minutes at the end so the cheese gets more golden and bubbly. If you decide to do that, do not leave it unattended. It’s very easy to burn the cheese topping.
I served our casserole with Bob Evans mashed potatoes and roasted broccoli. Delish!
This is definitely a recipe that will be in our dinner rotation. Pinterest saves the day again!
I hope you have a great week.