Well, we did it! We all made it through the first day of school!
As I mentioned in Tuesday’s post, we are starting back virtually, and we decided for the kids to go to a tutor (our friend who is former elementary education teacher) two days a week. Well, the first day of school was a tutor day! So, the kids were up around 7:00, ate their Back to School Breakfast, got dressed and then let me take their traditional first day of school pictures.
As I snapped the first day of school photos, I couldn’t help but think:
Time sure has flown by….and here they are on their last first day of elementary school:
We still shopped for back to school outfits. Hadley was adamant about a denim skirt and the shirt (both from Target) was perfect for the first day of school.
I thought Hayden would wear one of his new Vineyard Vines t-shirts, but instead he busted out the new VV polo…looking sharp on his first day.
We did pit-stop at the school for a picture in front of their school sign. We’ve done that every year for five years, and no way was I going to let that tradition slide 😉
We went to the tutor’s house Monday night, and she has everything set up so sweetly. You definitely get the elementary school vibe as soon as you step foot in her basement.
When we arrived yesterday, she had a cute sign for the kids to use for a photo, and then took a group photo.
Hadley and one of her besties had the same Target shirt on!
Throughout the day, the tutor sent some photos. I love this thought as the students came down the stairs.
There’s no escaping the group of girls in this pod. Hayden’s the only 5th grade boy, but there are a couple younger boys to play with when they aren’t learning!
Seeing these photos brought me such peace throughout the day. I’ve been anxious about starting the year, but I know, from these photos, my kids are well taken care of two days a week, and I’ll bring up the rear on educating them them other few days 😂
As I got ready for the day, I found Homer on my bed…I think he was wondering where the kids went. He’s had us around for 5 1/2 months (I can’t even believe it’s been that long!)
Then, I went to school. I almost worked from home, but realized I’ve had a first day of school…in a classroom…for 35 years. I didn’t want to stop that streak!
It was odd being at school with very few staff members, empty parking lots, and quiet halls. I hope a we are all back together soon.
Last week, I decided to do a back to school interview with the kids. Here’s what they had to say:
Back to School Interview:
- This year, I’m excited about: talking to my friends and seeing them when I can.
- By the end of the year, I want to: be better at math.
- My favorite subject is: Reading
- I love learning about: Social Studies
- I am great at: PE class
- My favorite school cafeteria food is: nacho
- If I was the principal for the day, I would:take a day off
- When I grow up, I want to be: a golfer, an umpire, or a commentator
- The best thing about school is: recess
- My first day of school was: weird but ok
- This year, I’m excited about: having one of the best teachers, and to learn at my friend’s house (pod/tutor)
- By the end of the year, I want to: have to gotten better at math
- My favorite subject is: grammar
- I love learning about: different people’s countries and cultures
- I am great at: spelling
- My favorite school cafeteria food is: chili with noodles
- If I was the principal for the day, I would: would give extra recess to everyone
- When I grow up, I want to be: an elementary teacher (1st or 4th grade)
- The best thing about school is: getting to see my friends and having a partner
- My first day of school was: amazing and interesting
We wrapped up the day with a dance recital (performances were taped in class, but I still had to get Hadley ready with hair, makeup, and getting her costumes organized), and a tournament semi-final baseball game!
Today, I will be home with the kids working while they learn! Wish us luck 😉