Hello and Happy Monday! How was your weekend?
Friday afternoon, I had a hair appointment (hallelujah!), and Hadley came too for a trim. While we were gone, the guys played a round of golf.
Then, on Saturday, I got my traditional back to school pedicure. Again, Hadley joined me! #spoilt
Saturday evening we got together on a neighbor’s back porch for a drink with a few neighbors which was so nice!
Sunday, Hayden’s team won their first tournament game which was exciting.
Of course, I also continued my Selling Sunset binge and was productive with school work, grocery shopping, and other chores.
Overall, it was a busy, fun, and productive weekend.
Now, on to the recipe I wanted to share…
I was digging through my recipe box last week, and found a recipe that my whole family loves, but I hadn’t made it in a while. It’s an easy Mexican chicken casserole dish, and we got two dinners out of it + a small portion for lunch.
I found this recipe a few years ago in a local magazine here in Lexington. This recipe is by July Yeager of The Southern Lady Cooks.
- 4-5 cups chicken, cooked and chopped. (I put 3 large chicken breasts in the slow cooker, covered them with water, and cooked on high for 5 hours and then shredded it.)
- 1 c. green onion, chopped (can use regular onion)
- 1 c. green pepper, chopped
- 2 Tblsp. oil
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chiles, drained
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3-4 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded Mexican-style cheese, or any cheese of your choice
- Cook the green pepper and onion in oil in a large skillet.
- Add the tomatoes, celery soup, chicken soup, green chiles, chili powder, garlic powder, pepper, salt and cumin to the skillet.
- Mix well with a spoon and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Add a layer of crushed tortilla chips to a 9″x13″ baking dish.
- Add a layer of chicken and cover with half the soup mixture from your skillet.
- Sprinkle on 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Add another layer of chips, chicken, and the rest of the soup mixture.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove and add remaining cup of cheese.
- Return to oven for about 5 minutes or long enough to melt the cheese on top of the casserole dish.
- (makes 10-12 servings)
Dinner time! I served this with Trader Joe’s Mexican Style Roasted Corn.
This is definitely a recipe I will add back into our dinner rotation.
Now, I’m off for another day of professional development. Two more days until school starts!
Have a great week.