Happy Monday! After an unexpected four day weekend, we are ready to hit the ground running this week…..at least I think we are! Well, what choice do we have?! haha. The weather was actually cold enough last week (and it finally snowed on Friday!) to make chili, so I made my dad’s chili. I thought I’d share the recipe with you.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped (I usually use 3/4 of a big white onion)
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2, 15 oz cans kidney beans, drained
- 29 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 16 oz jar thick and chunky mild salsa
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1/2 c apple cider (I sometimes use apple juice if I don’t have cider)
- 3 Tblsp. chili powder
- 1 Tblsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tblsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- Heat oil in a large pot and add beef, chopped onion and garlic and cook until beef is browned and cooked through.
- Drain any grease.
- Stir in all other ingredients
- Boil, then reduce and let simmer and cover
- Stir frequently for 1 hour.
- Enjoy–serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, crackers, etc.
- **The other night, I made this and let it simmer about 15 minutes and then put it in the slow cooker on high for 1 hour. Then, we ate it when everyone got home from their basketball practices.
I’m glad I went ahead and made this last week (and we got two nights of dinner out of the recipe)….the temps will be back in 50’s this week!
I hope you have a great week.
Thanks for reading,
Facebook Page: Show Me and Sweet Tea