California Roll Bowl
I’ve seen various versions of California Roll Rice Bowl, and for this recipe, I’ve just incorporated the ingredients I like the most and what I know my family will eat. Also, many of the recipes include ingredients for making your own sauce and I usually don’t have time for all that…plus, I love Trader Joe’s Carrot Ginger Miso Salad Dressing…which is the perfect sauce for this recipe.
English cucumber, diced
Protein – I use shrimp (traditional California Sushi Roll would include crab)
Rice – I buy two bags of microwave rice–one white, one brown
I use Trader Joe’s Chile Lime Seasoning when I cook the shrimp
Trader Joe’s Ginger Miso Salad Dressing (or whatever dressing/sauce you like)
Black Sesame seeds – toasted
- I saute the shrimp in a extra virgin olive oil, a bit of Chile Lime Seasoning, and a dash or two of soy sauce. (I’ve also just used salt and pepper or various other seasonings –whatever I have on hand…just to give the shrimp some extra flavor)
- While the shrimp is sauteing, I chop a bit of the cucumber and slice and dice the avocado. Then, I create an assembly line of toppings: carrots, avocado, cucumber.
- I toast the sesame seeds in a small pan.
- I cook the rice in the microwave and empty both bags into a small bowl and mix the white and brown rice together. (90% of the time, for most meals, I buy brown rice to try to stay on the healthy train—but when I think sushi, I think of white rice, so I live on the edge a bit and include white rice too). **You could use cauliflower rice for a low carb option**
- Once the shrimp is ready, I just put rice and shrimp in the bowl, and then everyone does their own toppings: carrots, cucumber, avocado, dash of soy sauce, sesame seeds, and the miso dressing. (also–I’ve used a drizzle of Trader Joe’s Sriracha Ranch Dressing rather than miso dressing…and even just soy sauce may be all you want or need…)
This is a healthy dinner option that literally comes together in minutes…and my kids even eat it (for sure they eat the rice and shrimp—and usually add a topping or two)
I hope you enjoy this healthy meal!
Have a great week!
Facebook Page: Show Me and Sweet Tea