Today’s the day….the T W I N S turn T E N! I can’t even articulate how quickly these 10 years have flown by. They’ve been the best, the hardest, and the most rewarding years of my life. I’m so lucky to be their mom.
Their due date was December 18, 2009. We knew I’d probably never make it to 40 weeks, and making it to 36 weeks was a blessing. I will never forget seeing their faces for the first time. The second they showed me Hayden, I teared up; he looked just like Travis. The nurse showed me Hadley for only about 10 seconds, so then my tears were for a different reason. During the pregnancy, Hadley consistently measured smaller than Hayden, but we were still surprised that she weighed in at only 4 lbs, and who knew the extra 7 oz Hayden was carrying would be enough for 4 lbs, 7 oz Hayden to come home with us after four days in the hospital. The NICU doctor told us Hadley would be in the NICU for 12-14 days. Well, day 13, she joined us at home.
The NICU nurses told us that premature baby girls tend to be more of the fighters compared to baby boys in the NICU, so I take it as a blessing and a sign that if one had to stay for a bit and one got to go home, the right baby stayed put to grow a bit more and the right baby got settled in at home.
It was tough being away from her while also juggling a newborn at home. When we brought her home, the NICU nurse said she’d most likely be the more independent one who wound fend for herself. Well, that nurse couldn’t have been more right.
These two captured our hearts from the beginning and certainly still carry the same qualities and features that they’ve had since the day they were born.
Sweet itty bitty babies…
Who turned into chubby cheeked toddlers and sweet spirited little ones…
who continued to emerge into the best little versions of themselves…
In honor of turning 10, I thought I’d share 10 things I love about each of my kids.
- His love of reading. #hegetsitfromhismama
- His passion for sports. (any sport, all the time!)
- How he pronounces Hawaii “who why ee”
- He’s an introvert who pushes himself out of his comfort zone. #anotherattributefromhismama
- His attention to detail.
- He is a wonderful teammate. Nothing makes me happier than seeing him cheer on his team or high five a teammate.
- His inquisitive nature.
- That he says to his mama, “Give me a huggie!”
- That he is a creature of habit.
- That he is a homebody. (and proud of it!)
- B O N U S–he lets me call him Boo 😉
- There is no bigger helper on this Earth than Hadley.
- She has the biggest heart and a knack for knowing when others need some extra love.
- She is a loyal friend.
- That she is the best mix of both tomboy and girly girl.
- She’s energetic times ten…always on the move and enthusiastic about life.
- That she’s outgoing as all get out. #didnotgetthisfromhismama
- Her ability to find the beat in any song and dance to it (as if no one is watching–but we are watching because she’s forever creating new dance routines to showcase for us)
- Her love of scrunchies and friendship bracelets #daugtherofan80sbaby
- Her love for little ones.
- Her bravery…(for example, sleep away camp for a week this past summer…) #shewasmuchbraverthanhermama
- B O N U S–she lets me call her Sis 😉
Homer says Happy 10th Birthday!
Hayden and Hadley,
I know you probably aren’t reading this, but please know…
You guys are the best and make us all so proud. Keep being kind, keep doing your best, and keep being there for each other …and we can’t wait to continue to watch you grow into the best big kids and teenagers (#prayforme) in the coming years. How are you already double digits?!?! #thetwinsturnten
Happy Happy Birthday.
I love you!
Facebook Page: Show Me and Sweet Tea